After an article, we posted a few weeks ago on The Basics of Asphalt we thought we would start a series for you to learn a little bit more regarding different aspects and properties of asphalt. Today we’ll be going over some engineering facts concerning the smoothness of asphalt and the benefits it provides both for the pavement itself and for drivers and their vehicles.
Benefits of Smooth Pavement- For the Road
- Studies have consistently shown that asphalt has a long life and retains quality smoothness over a very long period of time.
- Asphalt pavements lend themselves to smoothness, as well as quiet and skid-resistant surfaces.
- Smoother pavements extend the life and quality of the road by as much as 10-25%.
Benefits of Smooth Pavement- For the Driver
- A smooth and even pavement maximizes tire contact, providing more traction and creating safer more controlled driving conditions.
- Smoother pavement lowers a vehicle’s fuel consumption and can save someone up to 10% on fuel expenses.
- Smooth roads also enable a vehicle to produce lower emissions.
- Rougher roads and pavement will wear out the tires, shocks, and other mechanical parts of the vehicle more quickly. Smooth roads will save wear, tear, and money for drivers.
- Smooth roads produce less noise pollution, both for drivers and locals.
We hope you’ve learned something new regarding the smooth properties of asphalt and the widespread benefits which it allows. We’re here for any and all of your asphalt questions and needs. Please let us know if there is anything more we can do for you.
Call us today or Click Here for a Free Quote on your asphalt paving needs.